[liblouis-liblouisxml] Line endings and liblouisutdml

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 20:56:09 +0100

Hello,
As I am mainly working on windows now, I am running into issues while working on the liblouis and liblouisutdml projects, line endings normally are unix line endings but these don't work so well with some tools on windows.

For liblouis I set a load of properties on files so that when a windows user checks out the repository on windows they should mainly get windows line endings.

For liblouisutdml mercurial is used, there are various solutions. I am considering using the eol extension for mercurial as it enables the configuration to be stored in the repository and all users then will get the configuration. The only thing is that it would mean those who will contribute will need to configure their mercurial to enable the eol extension. This isn't hard and once done will work for all mercurial repositories using the eol extension.

Here is the page about the eol extension http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/EolExtension

As a quick summary, to enable the eol extension edit your user's .hgrc file (unix users it will be ~/.hgrc and for windows users it would be %USERPROFILE%\.hgrc ). All you need to do to this file is add the following lines (NOTE: if the first line already exists then you only need put the second line in that section IE. the next line down):
[extensions]
eol =

So my question is, would everyone be happy for me to use the eol extension so that the correct line endings appear for the user's platform? Shall I go ahead and create an .hgeol (the configuration for the extension) file?

Also may be John if you could give me an idea what binary files exist (eg. image files, etc).

Michael Whapples