[liblouis-liblouisxml] Licensing [was: Thoughts on a new liblouis]

  • From: James Teh <jamie@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 12:02:20 +1000

The main advantage of a license like GPL or LGPL is that any changes must be contributed back to the community. Imo, this is fair enough; if someone benefits from your code, it's reasonable to ask that they give back if they enhance it in some way. Of course, the disadvantage is that using it in many other products becomes very difficult.

It might be worth considering the Mozilla Public License, which is not quite as restrictive but still encourages improvements to be contributed back. In overly simplified terms, it operates on a file level. If you make changes to a file under MPL, you must license your changes under MPL, but any other files in your project do not have to comply with the MPL.

Disclaimer: I actually don't know a huge amount about MPL, but I've been looking into it recently.

Jamie

On 28/10/2013 10:15 PM, Michael Whapples wrote:
I think the reasons for why LGPL is not desired has already been said.
Whether one agrees with those reasons may be another matter as some of
it relates to peoples' perception of the LGPL so some might not see that
as an issue or may tackle it another way (eg. changing perceptions).

As for opening a can of worms by saying so much, I fear you might have
opened it and hopefully the lid can be put back on before it gets out of
hand.

Just to say people have differing oppinions, you have voiced your
dislike for Apple's practices, I feel GPL restrictions stink just as
much and while one is not prepared to compromise no progress will be
made and users will be the loosers as open source options will not be
possible.

One cannot criticise Apple for protecting their interests if you then
want to protect your own.

Michael Whapples
On 28/10/2013 11:44, Christian Egli wrote:
"John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

We need to free ourselves of the LGPL.
Why?

This probably means that we can't use any of the existing code.
Yes.

Whether it applies to the concepts behind that code I don't know.
No, the concepts are not bound by copyright AFAIK. That would probably be
patents, but IANAL.

The license should be a permissive one, like Apache 2.0. Although the
software will be open source, it should be copyrighted by an
organization that can take action if someone violates the license.
But why would you need that? The Apache 2.0 license is so permissive
that it is basically "do whatever you want". The only restrictions are
that you cannot use the trademark and you cannot hold the creators of
liblouis liable. There are hardly any ways to violate this, so IMHO
there is no need for an organization.

But I guess I'm starting a bike shedding thread about the license of the
new liblouis, so I'll shut up now.

James Teh
Director, NV Access Limited
Ph + 61 7 5667 8372