[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Compiling liblouis on MacOS X

  • From: Bert Frees <bertfrees@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 12:25:04 +0100

Hi Greg,

First of all, I really appreciate your good intentions and your determination to
contribute something to the usability of liblouis. But I just have to
be frank: I don't
like your Mac installer idea (you probably figured that out by now).
I'm sorry but as
far as I'm concerned it would not be officially supported on the
liblouis website,
even if you manage to build it and promise to maintain it yourself.

Besides, if someone gives you the files and binaries now, you can build your
installer once but every time a new version is released that person will have to
send you the new files. You can hardly say you would be maintaining it yourself?

The only real solution is that you learn how to build liblouis and
liblouisutdml. We'll
improve the HACKING file as much as we need in order to get there. Then, when
you have managed to build the binaries, I suggest you bundle them *within* your
user interface.

We should focus on providing user interfaces. The average user doesn't need the
command line tools. But if it's really what it takes, we'll write an idiot-proof
step-by-step installation guide for Mac. I'm happy to help with that.

Bert

project pages go to http://liblouis.org