[liblouis-liblouisxml] Compiling Liblouisutdml on the Mac

  • From: Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 13:38:08 -0500

Sorry! This post actually was sent before my one about jni.h but I
inadvertently sent via iCloud and I am not subscribed with that email address.
Then I went to send again and STILL didn't change the "from" indicator -
grrrrr! I do that every once in a while so maybe I will eventually add that as
a subscription. When I didn't see that post come through even after the jni.h
one I figured this was what had happened. So read this remembering that there
are other posts since this one. The only reason I am sending this now is that I
was attempting to start a fresh thread for this subject.
I thought we should quit cluttering another thread with this discussion so I've
started a specific thread.

I am sorry but there is nothing specific I can tell you. It is true that for
quite a while I had trouble compiling and installing liblouisutdml but since
the 2.6.0 release I have had no problems. Remember that if you use git-clone to
obtain your source, you probably need to run ./autogen.sh before configure;
this is pretty standard with git and subversion both in my experience. Also, if
you post your specific output from your "make" and "make install" I might be
able to give you specific advice. If you posted this I didn't see this but if
it was under another thread I might not have been reading those posts. Make
dist is not at all necessary and perhaps not even an option in this case so I
didn't take note when you posted that output. I'll be glad to help if I can if
you will post your results either publicly or privately and I apologize if you
already did so under another thread.

Cheryl

Greg Kearney wrote:
Can you share with me what you did to get this to work?

Sent from my iPhone

Greg Kearney

On Sep 7, 2015, at 5:25 PM, Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:cahomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Liblouis itself has never been a problem for me to install on the Mac. As for
liblouisutdml, I'm not even using homebrew and/or Macports any more and with
very little work was able to successfully install liblouisutdml 2.6.0.
Furthermore, this afternoon I once again updated my git downloads of liblouis
and liblouisutdml, as I have been doing periodically, and successfully
updated them with absolutely no problem using ./autogen.sh, ./configure, make
and make install. I also had no problem separately downloading the
liblouis-2.6.4 tarball and installcompiling and installing it on the Mac. And
honestly, even when I was having the problems with installing liblouisutdml,
the problem was that i couldn't find the solution; it really wasn't that I
had to install all manner of odd packages.

I am sure there must be good reasons why homebrew still is using
liblouisutdml 2.5.0 but I would say that at this point it is not impossible
to install liblouisutdml on the Mac cleanly.

--
Cheryl

Move forward by looking back!
"Above all, fear the Lord
and worship Him faithfully
with all your heart;
consider the great things He has done for you."
(1 Samuel 12:24, HCSb)

On Sep 7, 2015, at 10:50 AM, Gregory Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

If we can not have pre-build binaries, a serious shortcoming that will
forever limit liblouis usefulness in my opinion, can we at an absolute
minimum insure we release liblouis, and more important libLouisutdml, in
distributions which we know can be configured (./configure), build (make)
and installed (make install) cleanly on every platform without demanding
that the user have all manner of odd packages installed?

As it stands now libLouisutdml is simply impossible to build on MacOS X
cleanly as evidenced by the fact that the homebrew install are still
installing version 2.5.0 the last version that sort of worked.