[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Compiling Liblouisutdml on the Mac

  • From: Greg Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2015 16:30:42 -0700

I am logged in the primary administrative user. I am in the directory. I am not
running as sudo

Sent from my iPhone

Greg Kearney

On Sep 8, 2015, at 4:25 PM, Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

How are you running this? Are you somehow in as root or are you using sudo?
And you are inside the folder, correct?

--
Cheryl

Move forward by looking back!
"Above all, fear the Lord
and worship Him faithfully
with all your heart;
consider the great things He has done for you."
(1 Samuel 12:24, HCSb)

On Sep 8, 2015, at 2:35 PM, Gregory Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello;

Thanks for the help. this is what I get when I run ./autogen.sh

gkearney:liblouisutdml gkearney$ ./autogen.sh
Cleaning autotools files...
find: illegal option -- t
usage: find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] [-f path] path ... [expression]
find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] -f path [path ...] [expression]
find: illegal option -- t
usage: find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] [-f path] path ... [expression]
find [-H | -L | -P] [-EXdsx] -f path [path ...] [expression]
Running autoreconf...
aclocal: error: aclocal: file '/usr/local/share/aclocal/lt~obsolete.m4' does
not exist
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

Commonwealth Braille & Talking Book Cooperative
Greg Kearney, General Manager
#320, 185-911 Yates Street
Victoria, BC V8V 4Y9
CANADA
Email: info@xxxxxxxxx

U.S. Address
21908 Almaden Av.
Cupertino, CA 95014
UNITED STATES
Email: gkearney@xxxxxxxxx

On Sep 8, 2015, at 11:38 AM, Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry! This post actually was sent before my one about jni.h but I
inadvertently sent via iCloud and I am not subscribed with that email
address. Then I went to send again and STILL didn't change the "from"
indicator - grrrrr! I do that every once in a while so maybe I will
eventually add that as a subscription. When I didn't see that post come
through even after the jni.h one I figured this was what had happened. So
read this remembering that there are other posts since this one. The only
reason I am sending this now is that I was attempting to start a fresh
thread for this subject.
I thought we should quit cluttering another thread with this discussion so
I've started a specific thread.

I am sorry but there is nothing specific I can tell you. It is true that
for quite a while I had trouble compiling and installing liblouisutdml but
since the 2.6.0 release I have had no problems. Remember that if you use
git-clone to obtain your source, you probably need to run ./autogen.sh
before configure; this is pretty standard with git and subversion both in
my experience. Also, if you post your specific output from your "make" and
"make install" I might be able to give you specific advice. If you posted
this I didn't see this but if it was under another thread I might not have
been reading those posts. Make dist is not at all necessary and perhaps not
even an option in this case so I didn't take note when you posted that
output. I'll be glad to help if I can if you will post your results either
publicly or privately and I apologize if you already did so under another
thread.

Cheryl

Greg Kearney wrote:
Can you share with me what you did to get this to work?

Sent from my iPhone

Greg Kearney

On Sep 7, 2015, at 5:25 PM, Cheryl Homiak <cahomiak@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Liblouis itself has never been a problem for me to install on the Mac. As
for liblouisutdml, I'm not even using homebrew and/or Macports any more
and with very little work was able to successfully install liblouisutdml
2.6.0. Furthermore, this afternoon I once again updated my git downloads
of liblouis and liblouisutdml, as I have been doing periodically, and
successfully updated them with absolutely no problem using ./autogen.sh,
./configure, make and make install. I also had no problem separately
downloading the liblouis-2.6.4 tarball and installcompiling and installing
it on the Mac. And honestly, even when I was having the problems with
installing liblouisutdml, the problem was that i couldn't find the
solution; it really wasn't that I had to install all manner of odd
packages.

I am sure there must be good reasons why homebrew still is using
liblouisutdml 2.5.0 but I would say that at this point it is not
impossible to install liblouisutdml on the Mac cleanly.

--
Cheryl

Move forward by looking back!
"Above all, fear the Lord
and worship Him faithfully
with all your heart;
consider the great things He has done for you."
(1 Samuel 12:24, HCSb)

On Sep 7, 2015, at 10:50 AM, Gregory Kearney <gkearney@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If we can not have pre-build binaries, a serious shortcoming that will
forever limit liblouis usefulness in my opinion, can we at an absolute
minimum insure we release liblouis, and more important libLouisutdml, in
distributions which we know can be configured (./configure), build (make)
and installed (make install) cleanly on every platform without demanding
that the user have all manner of odd packages installed?

As it stands now libLouisutdml is simply impossible to build on MacOS X
cleanly as evidenced by the fact that the homebrew install are still
installing version 2.5.0 the last version that sort of worked.

--

project pages go to http://liblouis.org