[liblouis-liblouisxml] Re: Advantages of using the Gnu Free Documentation License

  • From: Christian Egli <christian.egli@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 13:36:28 +0200

Hi John

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 16:59 -0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
> What would be qe advantages of using the gnu Free Documentation
> License? Disadvantages?

As you know I'm not at all opposed to GNU licenses, however with GFDL I
have my reservations. Firstly let me say that I think the (L)GPL is
probably not a very good license for documentation. I've heard stories
of publishers just taking a GPLed manual and printing it without ever
acknowledging the original author. To avoid this the GFDL was designed.
However I don't really think this is a problem for us, as I don't think
we would have a problem if anyone wanted to print and sell a manual of
liblouis. Secondly some people have a problem with the GFDL. In
particular the Debian people have voiced strong concerns about it and I
could imagine that they would rip out the documentation from the
liblouis Debian package just because it is GFDL (see the section on GFDL
in the Debian Documentation Policy
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/ddp-policy/ch-common.en.html). I see
Debian as an important customer of ours and we should try to work with
them. So to conclude I would say while the GFDL might be a better
license for documentation I don't think there is a pressing need for us
to change the license of the documentation. If you really want to change
to GFDL then at least use it without unmodifiable sections.

Swiss Library for the Blind and Visually Impaired