[liblouis-liblouisxml] AW: Re: LoadLibrary and ABI

  • From: "Bijewitz, Volker" <v.bijewitz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <liblouis-liblouisxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 13:02:04 +0200

Hi all,

I am using LibLouis.dll in a "side-by-side"-szenario. I put the lib inside my
application directory, so I am shure that I load allways the right library.
So, for me there are no benefits putting a version suffix to the liblouis
name. It would be really good to have a version information in the resources
like it is the standard way in windows. I have a routine that collects the
version strings of all libs in my app directory that works with that
resources.

I think, if there are users that install LibLouis as a real shared library in
common places, appending a version suffix to the lib name is the best way to
avoid "DLL hell". I do not want to use LibLouis from a common place, because
I like more to have the full control over all modules I use, and dont care
about some kilobytes more installing on a users system. And it is a risk to
put the lib into shared places, because then the app can be broken by a
incorrect implemented 3d party uninstaller that does not use the shared files
counter the right way or a installer that overwrites the files with older
versions...

After all, I think it is a good idea to put a version suffix to the name.

Greetings,

Volker Bijewitz