[leveller] Re: Preview of new plug-in: Displace

  • From: Ray Gardener <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leveller@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 04:06:37 -0700

I believe so. The plug-in mimics the protocol of Photoshop's Displace plug-in (e.g., I can use its displacement maps as tests), and I've seen sophisticated examples on the Net.

I should add a slopemap export, however, so that slopes can be expressed as displacement maps. The idea is that, if you imagine placing a ball on a heightfield point, where would the ball roll to and how fast would it do so (which can be computed from the surface normal). The resulting magnitude vector is then describable into the two displacement maps the Displace plug-in uses. If you already have a program that does that, the disp. map format is simply uncompressed 8-bit grayscale TGA.

Another possibility is to have the Displace plug-in infer the slopemap itself, which is also easy to do.

Ray

Carl Lingard wrote:
Hey, that's pretty cool- looks like flow stretching. Could the displacement be driven by inputs such as slope in some way?

Carl

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Gardener" <rayg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>