[lektrik_flyers] Stryker mods and evolution

  • From: Bill Beavers <bill.beavers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lektrik_flyers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 22:20:43 -0500

So while at Beaverfork the evening of 9-22-13 some of us were discussing
the F/27 Stryker from Parkzone and how to buy (or build).  So here goes a
thread on how you can either just outright buy one, or if you want to take
the "roll your own" route, I'll provide some links to help you get what you
need if you wanted a set up just like the one I have built.

On the buy and fly side, you have several choices of different versions of
this delta wing.  I'll try to list most of them and if I miss any or
someone has a different take on it, then feel free to chime in.

Here are the versions that are out there:

F/27b
F/27c
F/27Q (newest and will deliver if you just want to buy and fly)
F/27b/c/q roll your own

The F/27b was I believe Parkzones first version of this plane.  It is/was a
brushed version and I had one and felt it was way under-powered (so did a
lot of other people).  It is listed as an intermediate plane, but honestly,
it can be a beginner plane too because a lot of flyers bought this and cut
their teeth on them.  I didn't but each to his own.  If you ARE a brand new
flyer it will be more difficult because even though it is stable and
docile, its characteristics are faster than a small trainer and quicker in
terms of stick response and that is probably what makes it considered an
intermediate or next step plane.  But the air frame is so stable that it
like the GWS Slow Stick allow for all kinds of mods to take it to other
levels of fun and maintain that familiar feel in the air.  So I am going to
skip ahead and just talk about some of the more fun brushless versions, but
feel free to look up or ask about these other versions.

One of the newest buy and fly versions is the Stryker F227Q.  Here is a
good RC Universe review of it to see if that is the way you might want to
go.  You can just Google for it to find good buys on it, or ask Mark at
Marks Hobby Shop and he'll either have one, or can get you one.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1364.
 You provide the radio, receiver and battery and go.

The F27/c is a brushless version but does not have the rudder controls of
the F27/Q.  There are all kinds of mods out there though to get that done
yourself if you want to try the mod yourself.  This bird is getting hard to
find too since mostly the F27/Q has taken over.  Here is a link to start
you on your quest for the F27/c verion if you do not want the more nimble
F27/Q (http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PKZ4200).

But if you do want to build one from scratch there are lots of places to
get the various parts, but I'll just list a good go to for them here and
you can pick and choose your vendors if you want to research other places
to gather up the stuff.  I by no means am recommending this site, they just
had most of the parts.

Fuselage
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/ParkZone-Bare-Fuselage-Unpainted-F27-B-C-Stryker-p/pkz1267.htm
$25.99

Motor Mount
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Parkzone-Motor-Mount-F27C-p/pkz4234.htm
$4.99

Elevons
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Parkzone-Elevons-w-Control-Horns-F27C-p/pkz4233.htm
$3.99

Fin Retainers
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Parkzone-Fin-Retainer-2-F27-B-C-p/pkz1221.htm
$1.59

Vertical Fins
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/ParkZone-Vertical-Fins-w-Tape-2-F27-B-C-Stryker-p/pkz1220.htm
$7.99

Control Rods
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/ParkZone-Clevis-Pushrod-2-F27-B-C-Stryker-p/pkz1218.htm
$2.49

Complete Hatch Set
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/ParkZone-Complete-Hatch-Set-F27C-p/pkz4213.htm
$7.99

Prop
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Parkzone-Propeller-6x4-F27C-p/pkz1009.htm
$2.99

Servo (x2)
http://www.redrockethobbies.com/ParkZone-Mini-Servo-3W-with-Arms-3D-F27C-p/pkz1061.htm
$12.34 ($24.68)  Substitute with your favorite or better

Mega 16/15/4 Brushless motor (fits motor mount very well)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826981
$50 (normally $100 too $110 dollars)

All you need to finish this up is a battery (2200 25c or 45c lipo about
$12) , a receiver 2.4ghz is my pref either straight up Spektrum (I fly a
6200 in mine but an Orange RX would be fine too about $8), and a 35 to 40
amp ESC (Castle is great but about any will do about $15).

So total cost minus what you decide to do about paint, coating, etc. for a
scratch build would be approximately $226.11 but keep in mind this has a
Mega 16/15/4 motor and will cause this to run like a scalded cat.  You can
change out a bunch of this and drop the price too but I just went primarily
with the stock setup stuff.

Anyway hope the easy way would be to just buy the StrykerC and change the
motor to what you want, or just go all in for the StrykerQ.

Enjoy.

--

Bill Beavers
Lektrik Flyers Website <https://sites.google.com/site/billbeavers/>