[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V4 #208

  • From: KEITH LONGMORE <keith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 18:55:28 +0100

Ted and Steve
It's very easy to criticise what others have done, when one is just an armchair photographer, isn't it! The operative words being 'have done'. I suspect that we all do it, to some extent. I have about 2000 slides of 'stately homes', shot mostly around 40 years ago using my Pentax S1, manual lenses, Weston Master V, and virtually nothing else (interiors and exteriors). I used to hand hold exposures up to 1 second; sometimes excellent results, sometimes just couldn't do it right. Whatever the rights and wrongs of such photography, I got out there and did it; anyone who wishes to criticise the end result had better get out there and prove themselves better than I am at it! (And I bet few would take up the challenge!!) Now, those photographs are a historical record; some of the houses no longer exist; some suffered fires or robberies of important artifacts, some are no longer open to the public. Those must have a value that transcends only technical perfection, surely? Oh - and we didn't have Photoshop to help us in those days! ;-)

Steve, the dawn shot is impressive. (But maybe not quite as impressive as the scowl on the young lady's face!!! I presume that she isn't an early bird person...? :-D I can't help wondering what she was thinking when she saw the photograph!) But 1 question. Early morning light is great for atmosphere, etc., but I wonder - if you had said this was a sunset, would anyone have thought differently? Maybe if you had waited a little longer, and got some long shadows? Just a thought....
Keep on clickin'
Keith