[LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V3 #149

  • From: Philippe Amard <phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 19:55:31 +0200

Hi Shelley,
If money is an issue, why not start from scratch with a clean R3MOT with
winder&grip (dirt cheap on Ebay nowadays) - much better feel and
view-finder than R4-7s, although it is (VERY) basic in its features.
The R3 is the key to any Leitz/Leica glass you can then wish to get as
the lenses are all compatible with existing bodies, with two restrictions:
a) lenses produced for the (early) Flex and SL  have only two cams - you
loose speed priority and program modes later Rs
b) Flex to R7 all lenses miss the ROM contacts and chips for R 8 & 9 -
but you can still use them.
And you can in both cases use them upwards - I think Doug might correct
me if wrong - they all  mechanically fit to any later body.

Well, with low stakes in the body, if and  when time comes when you want
a more sophisticated one, you can keep the R3 as a nice and faithful
spare and still use your lenses on both (smart, ain't it?).

Another thing is the use you intend to make of it all. If you never use
a flash-unit, you won't need an R5 as, unless I'm mistaken, this is the
main difference with the much less expensive R4. Makes sense, does'n't it?

If you go to wild countries - DK if there are any left LOL - choose an
entirely mechanical R6.2 (very expensive though) - you won't fear
running out of battery... (happened to me in India, not fear, running
out of juice and unable to find a replacement battery :-( ).

We were debating about wines recently (happens sometimes here too); I
have a motto about this;
Never have a cellar that is worth more than the bottles it contains"
This might apply to photography "Never have a gear where you've spent
more on the body than on the lenses".  Sounds like a truism to many, but
is sometimes forgotten.
And to finish with comparisons: Better a good pilot in an old sports car
than a Sunday driver in the most expensive novelty.

This, of course is just ONE point of view - note that you have on this
list excellent pilots who drive the latest releases (guess who I am
thinking of - wink) - but one has to start from somewhere, haven't we?

Wishing you good luck in your quest.
Contact me if you want info on hte R3 and 4.

Phileicangenieux.