[LRFlex] Re: leicareflex Digest V2 #58

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 07:17:36 -0600

Hi David,

Recently, you wrote:

> Neil wrote:
>
>> Are you able to get the color balance "in the ballpark" using a
>> utility such as Adobe Gamma?
>
> Not really... I have all the sliders (RGB) on Adobe gamma at the
> lowest level and the screen usually has a green cast.

It sounds as though Adobe Gamma isn't functional. That setting should
blank out your screen.

> Judging by scans made on my previous scanner, which were remarkably
> consistent on the CRT, they exhibit inconsistent colours, brightness
> and saturation levels on the Acer AL1913 LCD flat screen.

I'm still unsure of what you mean by "inconsistent". Do you mean that
colors on one part of the screen appear differently than the same color on
other parts, or that they're generally "off" in comparison to the CRT?

>> If you're trying to match the color that you were
>> getting on a decent CRT, it may be difficult, because the contrast
>> range and gamma are most likely very different between them.
>
> The video card is different - built in to the motherboard (just
> changed at the same time). It's an Intel Extreme Graphics (whatever that
is).

I would begin by trying to establish whether that video chip is compatible
with external gamma controls, and if so, how to enable them (It may be a
BIOS setting). It may also have an internal gamma control that could get
you closer to a useful color balance.

>> The video card can also make a significant difference in how the LCD
>> looks, as well as whether your interface is analog or digital.
>
>  From the book, the interface is analog.

Yes, I noticed that on Acer's site. Even though the monitor has a wide
stated angle of viewing (170º) and high contrast ratio, it is still
described as an "office monitor". That moniker is typically used to
describe less flexible models, but that wouldn't explain the basic
difficulty that you're having getting it into the ballpark using either an
internal gamma control (if one exists for that video chip) or Adobe Gamma.

> I bought the Monaco XT colour matching system, hoping to solve this
> problem, but the software won't install (which must be done first,
> according to the directions). It keeps reporting defective media -
> various files of type .rra are said to be wrong (CRC error - each
> time a different file name, but always of type .rra), and that "Mpl.dll
> is not a valid Win32 application."
>
> My dealer has already exchanged the CD, so despite the error
> messages, I don't think defective media is the problem.

Nor do I. The salient message above is that "Mpl.dll is not a valid Win32
application". This suggests that the driver software is fundamentally
incompatible with your system, and there won't be much you can do about
that. If it were me, the Monaco would be returned without further ado.

I hope you're able to sort it all out.

Best regards,

Neil Gould