[LRflex] Re: down by the American River, yesterday

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 08:47:37 -0700

> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/barbour/PAW2012/ducks.jpg.html
>

> perhaps someone can tell us from an animal behavior point of view,
> what is going on here...

Hi Steve!

It looks, at first glance, as if you've got an albinistic (not quite full
albino) Canada Goose amongst a group of regular Canada Geese.

I suggest this, as (a) the colouring is starting to reappear, as generations of
such geese breed with normally coloured mates and (b) the goslings look to have
normal colouring. (This is normal, even if they develop out-of-norm colouring,
as adults.)

I have seen this before, in some albinistic Red Necked Greebes I have
photographed.

But, it's just a guess, given the distance and slight overexposure of the
white(ish) bird.

Cheers!
David.