[LRflex] Re: Wintry beach

  • From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:31:00 -0800

Marc Dufour showed:

Subject: [LRflex] Wintry beach

>>Just a lonely segull  in a wintry beach:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Marc/Seascapes/Lonely+seagull+flying.jpg.ht
ml

Hi Marc,

A very interesting photo as it's certainly moody looking.

However, what I found even more interesting in this particular scene was one
word in your caption that changed how a viewer re-acts to the photograph.

When you first look the reaction is. "hey neat photograph!" Then one reads
the caption.

" Just a lonely seagull in a wintry beach"  It becomes "Oh jeeesh look at
the "COLD WINTER SCENE!"  It's still a neat photo, but with an imaginary
chill through ones body. :-)

But if you were to change, "wintry" to, "a moody summer surf with lonely
seagull!" The whole image changes in meaning.

Something I learned from an old time City Editor many years ago while
learning how to write cut lines for my photos. How to change the meaning of
a photograph from the truth to what's perceived when looking at the picture
itself! A completely different time of year and many other situations fall
into .. "A camera never lies!"  It can be made to with words.

That's something I fight against, as do many others who judge photos for
competition. I want to make my in-out decision on the content and what I see
in the photograph. Not what the words say it's supposed to mean.

Quite often judges do ask for the words if there's confusion in the subject
to clarify the validity of the content and how well the photograph actually
displays what is supposed to be happening.

This of course can make the difference whether a photo stays in the
competition or is out.

For whatever this is worth today.

It's still a damn fine image and I'd vote it in! :-)

Cheers,

ted