[LRflex] Way OT - Carmel's Soda Bread

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:11:37 +0000

George and I wrote:

> Well, I don't think you guys realise that there are as many recipes for soda bread as there are Irishwomen who can cook. My own lady wife, of course, bakes the best soda bread in the country. If she leaves me the ingredients ready, even I can bake it.

If anyone wants the recipe, I'll ask Carmel to post it - it's very quick and easy.

BTW, soda bread never has currants in it. That's a brack, which is an entirely different kettle of fish...or currants, or raisins or sultanas...

I'll take a shot of her next loaf with my M8 to keep this vaguely on-topic.. :-)

 Best of baking.

Yes Alex - you're speaking pretty much as my referenced Irish cookbook lays it out.

I'm always open for recipes (for comparison and contrast ;~)

Here's the authorised version:

Carmel's Best Brown Irish Soda Bread Recipe.

This makes one loaf. Double up the quantities for two.

Ingredients

1 Mug (300ml) coarse brown wholemeal flour.

1 Mug (300ml) white cream flour.

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon bread soda or bicarbonate of soda

1 large fist of sugar (depending on your taste)

1 egg (yolk and white)

300ml whole milk or buttermilk.

You can also add a fist of bran.

Sunflower seeds

Sesame seeds

Method

Put all the dry ingredients (except the seeds) in a bowl and mix thoroughly.

Put egg/milk into mug and mix thoroughly.

Pour egg/milk into dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.

Grease a 20cm long x 10cm wide x 7 cm high bread tin (approx measurements) with good quality margarine (I use Stork)

NB NEVER wash a bread tin! The bread should drop out cleanly.

Pour the mixture into the tin and flatten on top.

Press the sunflower and sesame seeds into the top of the mixture.

Bake in pre-heated oven at 190 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes.

Enjoy your bread!

Adding a DMR to the mixture is optional and does nothing for the flavour...

Best from the home of Irish baking.

A.

--
Alex & Carmel Hurst