[LRFlex] Re: Was Supremacy of Leica Glass - now Big Bodies!

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 17:21:59 -0700

From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Was Supremacy of Leica Glass - now Big Bodies!
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 19:23:25 -0700

Art Tafil wrote:

Xavier,

I know that I'll get some flack on this one, but, over the years, I've used several cameras and always gravitated to my favorites, Leica & Nikon.

I started out with Nikon, and sometimes I regret changing... the old Nikon F was durable beyond belief!

But every time I compare the photos taken with the Nikon to those taken with the Leitz/Leica glass, I remember why I changed!

I had a Nikon FTN in the early 70's. I had thought it was a step up from the Edixa I started with. I had the 35, 50/1.4, 55 Micro and a 135. I didn't like the photos it took compared with my uncle's Spotmatic, so I went in search of a new camera. I almost bought the OM-1 but then handled a Rollei SL-35 with Zeiss lenses. Took a few shots with the OM, SL-35 and my Nikon at and outside the store. It blew the Nikon and OM away and I used a Rollei system for almost 30 years until I got my first Leica about 4 years back. Zeiss glass is mighty fine, also. Converted 3 people over to Rollei in my camera club just be seeing the brilliance of those projected Kodachromes (through a Leitz projector).

I, too, own a Leica 24 and it is a very good lens. It was the second lens I bought since I used my Zeiss 25 for about half my shots. Well for some reason I have hardly used it. My interests and opportunities have changed and now I use almost exclusively the 100 APO and the 35/2 lenses. Both those are focal lengths I did not have in my Rollei outfit. Funny how things change.

Aram