[LRflex] Re: Was: Image Stabilized Telyt - Now: Airborne.

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 18:19:58 -0700

David,

That's a memorable (and remarkable) shot to me because I grew up amongst myriads of dragonflies in Florida and was always fascinated by them. Some called them devil's darning needles. The semi-blurred lace wings in your picture tell a nice story about these creatures.

Thank you.

Bill

On Jul 3, 2008, at 6:02 PM, David Young wrote:

At 02/07/2008, you wrote:

David, Doug,

Thank you, I don't plan to sell anything, actually.

My remark was made with  tongue in cheek, but in reality it was based
on the focus conformation function.

I have lately been doing some indoor shooting in low-light which
requires f/1.4 or 2.0 and high ISO settings. Speeds as high as 1/60
are sometimes reached.

Sometimes I use under-exposure and a monopod.

But my old eyes have trouble getting the depth of field on people's
faces and a focus confirmation would be a God send for me. All I can
do is keep focusing and shooting and accept the fact that I can't see
as well as I used to.

I hope the R10 will help in that department.

Bill:

Like you, it's the focus confirmation which makes my life easier. At this stage of life, I do not need AF (although, I admit, for things like Rodeo, which move very quickly, it's a wonder) , but focus confirm is a saviour.

For example: Today I journeyed to nearby (about 40km) Desmond Lake ... in search of Loons, or anything else I could find. I saw lots of birds, of many types, but none closer than 600 meters. Even with the Telyt + 2x converter that's nowhere close enough!

There were, however, tons of mosquitoes (got eaten alive, despite the "Off!") and some fairly large (6cm or 2.25 inch) members of the Dragonfly family. At least, I think they're Dragonflies... I'm not into bugs...

Anyway, with nothing else to shoot ...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Airborne.htm

This shot is a bit coarse, as it's cropped from about 1/2 the frame ... I could have shot them "larger", but I did not have Doug's UET with me, so the close focus limit of the Telyt governed image size. I won't make that mistake, next time!

Tech Stuff:

Oly E3 with Telyt 400 f6.8 via Dandelion adapter.
f6.8 @1/640th second - ISO 640 - Monopod, but without shoulder stock.
Only corrections were Auto Levels in Photoshop.

Comments & criticism welcomed, as always.

Cheers !