[LRflex] Up Closer - and disappointed.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LRflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 16:27:21 -0800

Fellow Flexers:

Well, I could resist.  With such good success with the 50 yr old, Super Macro
Takumar and the 30mm extension tube, I had to try it will all three tubes... a
60mm extension, in total.

Well, you get closer, all right.  But not by that much.  And the image quality
certainly takes a dive.

With the 30mm tube, you can see the texture in the metal of the head-carrier.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/HD-2.html

And the edges are sharp.  Over all, image quality is pretty good, if not quite
comparable to the much newer (and, I'm sure, more expensive) 200/4
Micro-Nikkor.

In the shot made with the full 60mm extension, the edges are reasonably sharp,
but the detail is lost. No noticeable texture to the metal, no clarity to the
details of the wiring around the head or in it's reflections.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/HD-3.html

Exposure jumped from 1/6th second to 6 seconds - both at ISO 320 & f22; proving
once again that light does fall off with the square of the distance!

This last effort was instructive, if not stunning. I'll stop now. I think we've
all seen enough hard drive heads for one day!

Cheers!
David.