[LRflex] Re: To R8 or R9 or just forget about 35mm film

  • From: Charlie Chan <topoxforddoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:43:00 +0100

Walter,

Personally I think the R8 & 9 are some of the best manual focus SLRs ever made. They look clunky, but in reality, they fit your hand very easily. I've used mine for film and digital (with a DMR). Just lovely. Once you get past the looks and use it, you'll be very happy.

Best wishes,

Charlie

Charlie Chan
Cheltenham, UK

On 24 Aug 2009, at 12:51, Walter Kramer wrote:

Looking for comment and opinion here.

I shoot quite a bit of 35mm film, well 1 or 2 rolls a week seems like a lot to me considering I shoot digital as well. Mostly I pack a Leica R7 but I have an R5 as backup, I also shoot a Nikon F100 using some legacy glass and finally a Konica T3, also with legacy glass. Mostly I use the Leica system. I am wondering about whether it is worth me upgrading to
an R8 or R9 considering:

1) Is there that much difference in handling and/or results between the
R7 and R8-9

2) Right now it is easy relatively convenient for me to have 35mm
processed but I'd hate to buy a camera and find I have to mail my negs
interstate for development so is it just silly to stick with film?

I'm just looking for opinions and perhaps insights from people who may
have moved from early Rs to the R8 or R9 cameras.

Walter

--
Walter Krämer
walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx