[LRflex] Re: To R8 or R9 or just forget about 35mm film

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 19:12:11 -0700

Well, I didn't have an R7, but I had an R4 and was happy until I handled an R8. Better viewfinder, better metering (dead on all the time), better shutter and felt like it disappeared in my hand. It was heavy, and that was its only drawback. R9 is lighter. Unlike others, I NEVER had the metering selection wheel turn on me by accident. I considered upgrading to the R9 for weight, but the locking metering wheel was a real turn off for me, as well as the cost. So, I stuck to the R8, and still have it, though I am not quite sure why anymore.

If you want to shoot film and have Leica lenses to use, I don't think you would be disappointed in an R8/9 style camera. I never found it ugly. Just a bit unusual and after using it I was proud to show it off. Was head and heals above the R4. Can't say about the R7.

Was sure hoping Leica would just gut the innards and turn it into the digital SLR we were waiting for, keeping all the controls as is - simple and familiar to use.
My two cents.

Aram