[LRflex] Re: The tale of RT

  • From: Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 21:57:48 +0100

Tina, May I?

In fact Raw Therapee and Silkypix does it too. This was an aspect in whiche the
Japanese software plaesed me.

The "Cyberspace somewhere" you mention is just a folder at the level of the
images, with files named after the raw file with an special extension. It is on
your disk, not far from theRaw files.

It means tht when you back up, make sure to include those.....

There is this Adobe converter to DNG to which you can instructcto "save" the
originial Rawfile in the DNG produced.

In fact, DNG is just coded in XML, it adds a tag with the original content of
the camera raw file....

Sorry for the Geekeness, it is my job....

Just my 0.02 Camembert...

#-----------------------------------
From : Xavier F. BILLE
mail : hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Maisons Alfort - France

Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 14:21:54 -0500
Subject: [LRflex] Re: The tale of RT
From: images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

LR never moves anything unless you tell it to.  That's what I like about LR.  I
always know where everything is.  The original files are never touched.  You
can make all kinds of adjustments and try anything you want to, but the changes
are only written in cyberspace somewhere.  Your original file is always there,
untouched, right where you put it.

Tina

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:14 PM, Aram Langhans <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

David.  Why do you think LR does not allow you to put images anywhere you like?
 I can import to any folder I like, and it shows up right where I want it.  I
can export to any folder I like and it goes there, too.  And I can always see
where my files are on my harddrive.  I don't' see any "hiding" or "obfuscation"
at all.  I don't know where you got that impression, or maybe I am interpreting
your statement incorrectly, which Margie says I do often :-)

Aram

Snip

So, when I see a program, like LightRoom, which asks you to "import" the images

into it, and then tries to hide from you where they are, I immediately abandon

any thought of ever using it.

I realize they are trying to make things simple for the user, but for me, such

obfuscation is anathema.

With RT, as with Silkypix and others, I can put my files where I want them, be

they the raw files, sidecar files or the finished jpegs.

Tina Manleyhttp://www.tinamanley.com