[LRflex] Re: The Silk String Quartet

  • From: Philippe Amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:06:28 +0200

Richard Ward wrote:

Greetings Again Marc,
I will have to agree with you about the generalization that higher grain &/or noise with the higher iso's in cameras or in films can be a real detriment to 'absolute' image quality, but there are always trade offs of one kind or another in the creation of a great image and one must be careful of the images one denies oneself the potential to create with blanket condemnations of higher iso's and higher speed films. Coming from my own creative perspectives and imaging interests, trading away billboard print sizes or grain free images for the ability to reach into places and moments and situations that I wouldn't otherwise be able to explore photographically is simply one of the trade offs inherent to photography as a craft. I will also say that the sensor size tradeoff inherent to the digilux family of cameras means that the noise at higher iso's is much much worse than the bigger sensors in the dSLR families. The imaging benefits of bigger negs from before have come home to roost in the imaging sensors of today - the technology and physics for it being true vary a little from film to digital, but the axiom holds fairly well nonetheless. Now having said that! While I am fairly comfortable pushing the iso up in my dSLR, I would probably avoid it at all costs in a camera with a sensor smaller than the 1.5/1.6 family of dSLR chips. The color noise and random image noise in general is almost unbearable to me!

Well, at least shooting long-time exposures seem easier with those, even at lower ISO
400
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Doulce+France/Azay-le+Rideau/Azay-le-Rideau-2009-1100822.jpg.html
100
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/PAW-2009/2009-PAW-34-Place+Stanislas+-+Nancy+-+Fr-1110733.jpg.html

We can't have the best of all worlds, can we?

Bien cordialement de Metz
Phx

Richard

Hello Richard,
Since I "discovered" the RAW file, and its possibilities, I don't use no more the JPG ones.
So, I supposed at high ISO, JPG would be even worse than RAW.
I generally don't use high ISO, because the typical grain of films, and noise in digital files.
So, I'm very grateful with this information.
I've to try again, from these same RAW files, and noise reduction tools !
Thank you so much, Richard.
Marc