[LRflex] Re: Thanks for Time on Gerry Smith/Kindermann

  • From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 18:38:16 -0700 (PDT)

She sums it up pretty well. This does it for me..."Part of the R6/R6.2 appeal
is their extreme toughness and reliability.
They perform just as great on the top of the Himalayas as they do in
the Saharan desert. With electronics only for the meter, the R6 will
run just fine in the rain or extreme cold. If it runs out of batteries
or shorts out, the only thing that will be affected is the meter [and
self-timer]. You can keep on firing. At 625 grams, the R6 is also small
and relatively light -- just a few grams more than the Leica M6."
There's a reason why some Leica users are "anti-technology"; it's reliability.
When your batteries are out-of-juice, you are out-of-luck. Period! Some people
get their pictures far away from Radio Shack and others actually go
out-of-doors to shoot pictures. When a person spends big bucks to go to the
ends of the Earth to shoot pictures he sure as hell doesn't want to come back
empty-handed because the battery crapped out or some little micro conductor,
somewhere in there, decided it was tired and no longer wanted to do the job.

I've got an R6 as well as some Ms. When I got the R6, I could've chosen any
other camera on the planet and I deliberately UNchose all of the electronic
cameras. So far, i have not been disappointed, not one iota. I am somewhat
annoyed at the implication that Leica users are a bunch of Luddites that this
author makes. She should have inquired, damn it !

Dave