[LRFlex] Sov 'Sonnar' vs Summicron'; anyone have a user 60mm R lens for sale?

  • From: "Steven Rosenthal" <steverose108@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:39:04 -0700

Hi Dave. It is good to hear you also have positive experience with the
Autocord, when so many feel this way it can't just be a coincidence. I never
did any sort of collimation, I guess I was just lucky enough to get one that
was still setup well.  I am thinking about getting another one now...! But I
am enjoying learning what the Leica gear can do so I may not spread myself
too thin at this point.

on the LTM front I am doing comparison tests now between a  late model,
coated and very clean, collapsible 50mm Summicron  f/2 and an equivalent
condition, coated Jupiter 8. This is the Sov copy of the 50mm f/2 Sonnar,
ca. mid-late 1960s.  From what I can tell so far, and from what I can find
on the net they are very, very close... does any one out there have any
opinion or experience.? There was one fellow in Asia who posts enlargements
of details from a 35mm frame and it seemed the J8 edged out the Summicron, I
hope this is not heresy to post on a Leica group..

 If the J8 is about as good, I will sell the Summicron and put the money
towards another lens for my R4S, I'm interested in the 60mm which I hear is
fabulous... Does anyone have one that they might want to part with? It
certainly does not have to be in mint condition or anything, my 35 looks
like it went through a war and still works great...

Steven

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm