[LRFlex] Off-Track TLRs and wedding business

  • From: "Steven Rosenthal" <steverose108@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 13:51:40 -0700

Hi Billie. I too like the 124G, I have had many over the years, don't have
one now though. At one point I tested it against Rolleiflex's with Tessar
and Xenar and I sincerly think the Yashinon is a better lens, at least more
contrast and seems sharper too. But no doubt, a TLR that beats all of these
is the old, late 1950's....early 1960s Minolta Autocord. Just a wonderful
lens, I could honestly compare it to the photos from the pre-T* Planar on a
Hasselblad 500C I had at the same time. A very clever focus mechanism with a
movable lever, not a knob. Unbelievable performance for a tessar type lens,
right out to the corners. And very beautiful in an Leica (Summitar) type way
where the image just pops out in 3D look.

As to the business side, this is a common challenge in marketing so many
kinds of services these days where ordinary people have access to
information they were denied for centuries under previous paradigms such as
the guild, labor union, university education system etc. With the
information -society and the explosion of  self-help books, media, the
internet etc, and access to the tools formerly only available to
professionals in various fields, everyone thinks they can become their own
physician, architect, lawyer, landscape designer, wedding photographer etc.
and pocket the supposed difference in cash. Little do they realize they will
often spend as much or more for inferior results.
It will be an important challenge for your friend to identify a portion of
his market that will continue to recognize, pay for and refer business to
him for his professional expertise and stay with them, not try to win back
the do-it-yourselfers...

Yours Steven