[LRflex] Re: Seen On A Tripod

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 20:20:02 -0400

On 5/9/2010 7:22 PM, Richard Ward wrote:
> Hello,
>    was driving and unable to manipulate a camera to catch it, but last week
> in the distance I spotted a fellow carrying a tripod around our downtown as I
> waited at a red light. As I drew closer I noted it appeared to have a tall
> ball head on it, then at the last minute I realized it wasn't a head, but
> rather an iPhone! The guy was carefully setting up scenes and shooting them
> with it! I wanted to stop and talk with the fellow, but traffic was heavy and
> I had places to be.
>     In the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of American Photo they had a nice profile of
> folks using iPhones for 'serious' photographic endeavours. As cameras, iirc,
> Apple worked carefully to match a decent single focal length lens to a 4 or 5
> megapixel sensor. So, toss in a huge interface screen and some creative
> programs for in camera image controls and manipulation and you've got a very
> high powered polaroid for the new millenium. I'd say it's yet another example
> of 'horses for courses' argument as to which camera is best for which job.
>     Personally, I wouldn't mind at all if an adventurous camera company would
> put some creative engineers to work building a 'big sensored interchangeable
> lens camera' with a screen like an iphone/ipod touch at the rear and 'out of
> the box' ergonomics between it and the back of the lens. A 200dpi lcd 'view
> camera' sized screen matched with 35mm sized lens&  sensor would be quite
> interesting to take for a spin.
>
> Richard in Michigan

Richard,
    I don't know why he would need a tripod unless he was shooting
video.  My biggest problem with the Vixia is that it's to small
to hold straight, I've been using it with a tripod and a fluid
pan head, or the shoulder stock from a 400mm Telyt.  The Vixia
zooms to the equivalent of about 500mm.
    For still images, a laptop would make a good view camera
screen, can any DSLRs support live view via an external
computer?  Probably one would have to phrase the question
differently, are DSLRs supported as peripherals to image
software? :-)

--
  Charlie Falke                                        _____      /\
  "One test result is worth                       |    |/        `o
    one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun  0  N4003M
  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein