[LRflex] Re: Seen On A Tripod

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 21:41:51 -0400

On 5/9/2010 9:30 PM, Richard Ward wrote:
> Your inquiry re: dSLR's shooting Tethered to Laptops? The answer is most
> definitely YES. Canon and Nikon and Kodak dSLR and Leica M8/9 all support
> shooting tethered to an external computer, be it desktop or a laptop. I can't
> really speak to other brands.
> Further, I just remembered that someone has software out there to shoot
> 'tethered' to an iPhone or an iPad. Supposed to be a 'very nice' app, is what
> I read, but I haven't used it yet.
>
> The thought I have is vaguely along the lines of how micro 4/3rd's cameras
> break the slr paradigm by foregoing a mirror, but rather than chasing the
> smaller camera 'nirvana' sought by so many, my thought leans to breaking the
> big honking Pro dSLR paradigm for something a bit more like something capable
> of being used like a view camera due to the huge screen. The 2x3 press
> cameras of the 50's and 60's in one sense and a modern 'point n shoot' minus
> the crappy imaging potential.
>
> The iphone/ipad app from above might make my 'idea' a bit redundant, but who
> knows. There is also something to be said for bringing the software model of
> the cameras out of the 1970's and making it more like the app's in the apple
> app store, because there is a plethora of genuinely creative and
> photographically useful apps being written to go along with the camera in the
> iPhones. I read a great essay on these topics via some links on
> TheOnlinePhotographer site, I'll see if I can dig em up. The part regarding
> the camera Operating Systems and Software bordered on being vicious and
> justifiably so.
>
> Richard in Michigan

Richard,
    I knew that they would run tethered, I guess what I was wondering
if they would to live view with a reasonable update.
    Interesting idea to shift the paradigm to the camera as a peripheral
of the computer at the time of capture.
    Most of what you do with the swings and tilts
of the view camera can be done in software, not all, to be sure.
    Are you aware that there are digital cameras that actually have
swings and tilts?

--
  Charlie Falke                                        _____      /\
  "One test result is worth                       |    |/        `o
    one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun  0  N4003M
  "Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein