[LRflex] Re: R10 Design Point: Durability of Articulated Displays -> Backplate

  • From: "Nicolas" <nicolas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 00:01:03 +0200

Another solution would be to add a stylish « hard back » to the R10's
packaging. In this configuration, the LCD monitor wouldn't swivel.
This kind of metal plate would fit the back of the body (including some
holes for the essential buttons) plus its bottom (so it could _also_ use the
tripod mount to be attached).

Benefits :
- added rigidity
- added shock resistance (I'm shure digital users have this big or little
fear of severely scratching, or worst, breaking their LCD monitors. In those
cases, you simply can't use your camera in acceptable conditions anymore.
Plus this sword of Damocles that since the electronic times tells you more
and more : « take care to the camera, take care to the camera, take care to
the camera, take... ». Tropicalize the top of the R10, add some rubber seals
to the back and you've got an economically-designed resistant body.)
- virtually no LCD monitor (that's where the real interest lies. Fine
settings are made once, the the back is attached and everything essential
settings can be later controlled by top and few back buttons : shutter speed
of course, ISO, EV correction, color/b&w... what else ? Oh yeah, AF
enable/disable if AF was to be implemented...)

It may seem too much an « old fashion thinking » but, hell, I'm not even 25.
Quoting (in a biased way !) Steven LEE, from Sonny's linked article : « The
priority is to deliver results for the current year and to reinforce our
heritage – get Leica back on its feet, maybe something retro. »
Keeping a retro touch along with modernity, Leica is the right company to
achieve it.

Concerning what has been said about the 4/3 line, unfortunately I have to
agree : it'd be the easiest way to replace the R line.
- sensor already developped and « approached »
- no concerns about its corners' weakness
- just a D body to redesign, to make it look and feel more pro
- a lot of time and money saved
But I'm not shure people and Leica themselves would be _really_ satisfied.
I'm mean, both would state : « Well, I'm happy with it, but still I'd have
apreciated a digital R system »)
Backward compatibility somehow shows strenghtness (especially when no
adapter is needed), 24×36 size will always offer wider images than 4/3 using
the same technology...