[LRflex] An article well worth reading....

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 15:05:03 -0700

All:

Robert Langjahr, a list member who has  been on "permanent vacation
mode" for the last year or two, sent me a link to the CNBC Website.

It is a fairly long, detailed interview with Andreas Kaufmann and
Steven Lee.  It tells of company history and, more importantly, their
plans for Leica.... including taking Leica private, the move to
Wetzlar, new product directions, etc. It covers Leica's S1, the M8
and everything in between.

This is a "must read" for every Leica fan, and should give us all
reason to be (at least, somewhat) optimistic.

One small clip:

>Kaufmann is perfectly candid about his error of judgment in
>diagnosing Leica's ills when he first started investing in the
>company in 2004. "I started to hear stories about the Leica brand
>and the Leitz family, having invested in other optics companies
>nearby," he says. "I saw huge potential in Leica, but I
>underestimated the amount of restructuring that was needed. I
>thought the company just needed good management, but that wasn't
>true. The problems were deeper than management alone."

Note:  for the non-financial types, the EBITDA Hr. Kaufmann refers
to, in the article, stands for Earnings Before Interest, Taxes,
Depreciation and Amortization.

To read the article, use this link:

http://cnbceb.com/2007/04/01/features-april-2007/

and then click on "Leica it or Not", the 7th link down, in the center column.

Enjoy!

And... thanks', Bob!