[LRflex] R10?

  • From: Noel Yates <noel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 14:09:29 +0100

Fellow R aficionados,

The debate and speculation of the likely shape size, specification of
the (rumoured?) R10 are very interesting.

Here is my highly-personal and, perhaps, heretical view.

Much as I have loved Leica for the past 38 years of continous Leica
use (although I liked Ernst Leitz Wetzlar even better), and I hope
that they can survive and prosper, they have already built everything
I need from them. Apart from an M 21mm lens (I use my 21/4 R with a
Novoflex adaptor) there is nothing else Leica that I need. I am not
particularly interested in digital, I love black and white film and
working in the darkroom. I do have a Canon D30 with R lens adaptor
and that suffices for digital for me. My SL, SL2 and R3 give me
everything I need in an SLR camera.

Here is my mad idea. Leica abandons further development of digital
cameras and just badges somebody else's if they must have a dig. in
the range. They set up, or hook up with, film manufacture and create
a lovely little film-based niche market for themselves. It would be
more an ecosystem than a niche. Next step, a Leica film scanner then
a Leica inkjet printer with super-quality b&w printing. Not sure if I
am writing this or dreaming it.

All the best anyway,

Noel