[LRflex] Re: Question for Doug Herr

  • From: bob palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 20:48:00 -0500

Doug -

How nice it must be to have someone with your same name be such an
accomplished athlete!

Seriously, I had ya pegged as a serious runner (what with them
lunchtime runs-'n'-all) as well as a Man of Discipline i but I didn't
know how deep and accomplished you were in this area.

Also seriously, thanks for bringing this terrific accomplishment to our
attention; your general humility has been noted and admired, and this
is a good time to show some pride.

Me, I'm a terminally lazy jazz guitar player/snappist who is always
looking for the easy way out, especially when it comes to lugging gear
around.  And it is in this area (as well as many others) that I try to
follow Al Einstein's loosely translated dictum regarding ways to answer
physics questions, which goes something like "All explanations should
be made as simple as possible, BUT NO SIMPLER."  I feel this is
definitely true about How Much Gear to Carry. (I also like Ted's KISS
and "No more than you can run with" version.)  Hey; maybe we could
develop a sort of biathlon-style thing where you hafta run and then
stop to shoot some birds...

In fact, it looks like My Wife the Birder and I will hafta be in Hawaii
for a coupla weeks (don't they have an IronMan competition down there?)
in September and for various reasons I'm trying to put together a rig
that I can basically wear all day long and with which I can do whatever
I really care about photographically.  This trip is also gonna be
entirely on our dime, so I need to be able to make this thing happen
without spending much on any damn new gear.

Fortunately, given the above constraints, I'm also kindofa lousy
landscape photographer.

Bob Palmieri