[LRflex] Re: Question for Doug Herr

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:12:59 -0700 (PDT)

Doug
  Only 10th place. Come on son shake a leg!!!  :-). Sam bought me a shoulder
sling and custom fitted some pouches in it. Fits the 400 & 560 plus a few
extras. I'll Get a weight on the entire set up and get back to you.
Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  bob palmieri wrote:

>I love that snap, for so many reasons, although "reasons" have little
>relevance when faced with something this cool.
>
>I'm thinking it's time to look into backpack-type carrying solutions.
>
>Thanks -
>
>Bob Palmieri
>

>On Jul 17, 2006, at 12:39 PM, Douglas Herr wrote:
>
>> bob palmieri wrote:
>>
>>> How much bigger and heavier is the 560 compared to the 400 for those
>>> of
>>> us who like to hike for many hours at a time?
>>

>> My gut feeling is that it's twice the size/weight but I'll give a more
>> objective response this evening. I've done some long hikes with the
>> 560 (plus the 280, R8/DMR, couple of SL bodies, etc.) and lived to
>> tell about it.
>>
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/mammals/artiodactyls/dash01.html
>>
>> This was made with the DMR, 560/6.8 and a "stick" after a 1.5-hour
>> climb up 2500' of talus - does that help?
>>

>> Doug Herr
>> Birdman of Sacramento
>> http://www.wildlightphoto.com

When discussing the difficulty of carrying stuff on long hikes perhaps I should
mention this:

http://www.thegreatrace.org/data/results2005b.html

Scroll down to Ironman 50+ and check 10th place - it's a ~6-mile run followed
by 12 miles on a bicycle followed by 6.something miles downriver in a kayak.
However on the hike above I was carrying the R8/DMR/560/shoulder stock/stick in
my hand during the whole hike to be ready for quick snaps.

I have a home-made padded pouch for the 560, to which I've attached straps,
loops and such so that it can be strapped to the outside of my day pack and
removed for action in just a few seconds.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Regards