[LRflex] Re: Patent by Steven K. Lee

  • From: Thomas Schofield <tdschofield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:47:12 -0800 (PST)

Sorry Douglas, but I think your waaaaaayyyy off.  Not
some parasite that grabs the focusing ring on existing
R lenses, but a whole new lens system  Don't picture
those things that had a huge prism that would attach
to a N F3 or C F-1 with a contraption that grabs onto
the foucsing ring or a lens with a big box hanging out
the side with the motor in it.

Look at almost all the latest zoom (and other) lens
designs -- the focusing mechanism is in a rear group
usually with completely internal focusing -- and the
magnifying group that detrmines the focal length - or
zoom group in zoom lenses -- is in the front portion
of the lens. Notice how on zoom lenses the focusing
ring is almost always to the rear of the zoom ring?
Now imagine breaking the lens in half and selling the
rear part, with all the focusing motor and iris
coupling to the camera body, separate from the front
part - which determines the focal length, zoom range,
etc.  You buy one rear focusing modul for your make
camera body and then the front pieces for each lens
type you want - or maybe rear and front modul for each
lens.

Comparing the original 280 2.8 R lens to the present
comparable set-up in the Focusing Modul R system, the
new system is a little bigger and heavier do to the
bayonet-system that locks the two parts together, but
not nearly as over-bearing as the "motorized AF muff"
you seem to be envisoning!

I think its pretty exciting.  I just hope that the
prospect of larger volume from selling lots more
lenses keeps the price down to at least current
levels, if not competitive with the new Nikon mount
Zeiss MF lens system!

Tom Schofield