[LRflex] Re: On the way to the pond...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:13:53 -0700

> But the day was not lost.  As I hiked around one of the ponds, I came
> across this little guy... <http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Frog1.htm>http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Frog1.htm
>
> He was quite a challenge to shoot, as he was fast and he was small.
>
> If you want to know just how small... look here.... <http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Frog2.htm>http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Frog2.htm

Aram wrote:

Nice shot. That sucker really blends in. You did well to capture it with what you had. I like the action pose though the focus on the head is a bit off, but I can understand that if the little guy was moving about.

Thanks, Aram! He (she?) was, indeed, an active little guy... and he certainly did blend in. It was only the motion which caught my eye, and without a narrow range of focus, he'd disappear in any shot!

Given our recent discussions, on this list, about the benefits/drawbacks of AF... these shots would simply not have been possible without it ... even if the point of focus is a wee bit off the head.

In the first shot, I was holding grass out of the way, while following him along the ground, on my knees (and through the fresh cow patties .. ugh!) while holding the camera in the other hand. (As I later explained to Rose, jeans can be laundered, but a lost shot is gone forever.) Exposure was 1/200th, at f6.3. ISO1250.

For the second shot, I'd simply put my hand in the frogs path and he climbed up on it. Again, I had to shoot one handed, as my other hand was obviously occupied. After the shot, I gently put him back, and let him be on his way. 1/50th, at f16. ISO 640. Both shots were run through "Neat Image". for noise abatement.

It's a long time since I took high school biology. Can anyone here identify the little guy... besides "frog"?

Thanks, Aram, for looking and for your kind words.  It was a fun day!