[LRflex] Off Topic Testing... (not exactly pixel peeping.)

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LRflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 07:18:42 -0800

Good Mornin' flexers!

Fellow Flexer, Howard Cummer, asked me about the tracking focus abilities of
the new Olympus E-M1, when used with the older, original four-thirds lenses.

With the original firmware (v1.0) they were not good, but the recent release of
v1.1 has made a big difference ... not only to the tracking AF, but to AF in
general.

So, I took my new E-M1 and my ol' 50~200/2.8-3.5 Zuiko and it's matching 1.4
converter (extender?) out by the highway, to give it a test.

BTW: these photographs should not be judged as art.  They are purely
functional.

I was shooting cars & trucks coming by at 80 to 90 kph (50 to 56 mph) which is,
I think, as tough a test of focus tracking you'll find.  There were one or two
occasions where the camera failed to pick up the subject, at all. But, 9 out of
10 times it did, and results were good, except when the 1.4x converter was
used, with the zoom at full tele and aperture wide open.

Even here, closing down a stop or two might compensate for any errors in the
AF.

If you're interested in this sort of thing, I suggest you view the tests in the
order given here.. not numerical order.  Test conditions are at the top of each
page.  In the case of Test_1, there are notes part way down, as well.

http://www.furnfeather.net/TrackTest/TR-Test_3.html
http://www.furnfeather.net/TrackTest/TR-Test_1.html
http://www.furnfeather.net/TrackTest/TR-Test_2.html

A note of caution to those on dial-up.  The images are a fair size, and there
are many of them... so downloads will be large & slow.

Cheers!

David.

is active.