[LRflex] Re: Off Topic Testing... (not exactly pixel peeping.)

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 09:52:35 -0800

G'Mornin' Philippe!

> Hi David, you lucky chap in snow with a blue sky :-)

and minus 18.9C temperatures!  (Make that -28.6 with wind chill!)

> - Ted will want one for the next Olympics ;-)

Well, it's light enough for him!  Suits me to at "T"!

> - at f8 and 70mm and at that distance on a small sensor the DOF is
> "huge" no wonder then that the very contrasty truck should look focussed
> and sharp.
> - the road and more precisely the vegetation and the pebbles tell more.
> And a slightly different story. The lens front focuses I'm afraid.

You may be right, my friend. It *could* be DOF, but it does seem a bit forward
of the target.  At 200mm I don't see the problem...

So, now I need to do some more testing, to determine if it is the lens, or the
AF-tracking.  I've not noticed any problems on single shot ... but then I've
not had the camera very long, either.

Fortunately, the E-M1 has the ability to build a correction table, for each
lens. However, the work to build that table, at each zoom setting takes many
hours.  We may be talking *after* Christmas!

Thanks for your keen eye!

> I'd be curious to see the same type of shot at 200mm and 2.8 taken in a
> longer series until the target is very close -even harder on the gear on
> all counts I know this, particularly as the closer it gets the faster
> the relative velocity is.

Yup!  I'll work on that one, too.  Though, at 200mm it will be f3.5.

> On a lighter note: did the guy not brake? or at least slow down?  Any
> French driver would have.  I definitely would have.
> For fear the guy with electronic equipment in a suspiciously parked
> Subaru  might be working for the Home Secretary's radar brigade ;-)
> Right Xavier? :-(

Curiously, not a one ... though I did get many an odd look from the drivers
and/or their passengers!

David.

> http://www.furnfeather.net/TrackTest/TR-Test_3.html
> http://www.furnfeather.net/TrackTest/TR-Test_1.html