[LRflex] Off Topic? Or just off the wall???

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 07:50:09 -0700

Gary, Philippe, Howard, Xavier and all the other 4/3rds aficionado's
out there...

THANK YOU!

You guys are brilliant!

You see, for the last 2+ years, I've had a lens sitting in the corner
of my office... it's a bit of an unusual beast and, I'm sure, nowhere
near the quality of a Apo-Telyt-R 180/f3.4!

It is a Taylor-Hobson Varatol - a 16 ~ 160mm f2.2 zoom lens made for
use on a TV camera.  It even has a built in 2x converter!

I have looked and looked at it, wondering how to best use it.

I've thought of adapting it to the Leica R but the image circle will
not adequately cover the 35mm frame... though it just covers the DMR
sensor. Probably very soft at the edges!  (Actually, the coverage is
fine when the 2x converter is used.

I've thought of adapting it to the Canon 20d, as the smaller sensor
would likely give better optical performance.  But, the 4/3rds
cameras are the perfect choice!  With their small sensors, these
cameras should fit the image circle perfectly!

Of course the system is going to be a wee bit "front heavy" ... for
the lens weighed in, at the start, at something like 54 pounds (24.5
kilos) but is now, after some "surgery" down to a fighting trim 28
pounds (12.7 kilos)!

It can be seen, here: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/TH_Zooml.htm  I'll
post again, when the conversion is complete!

But thanks again, for helping me gain a perfect grasp of the painfully obvious!