[LRflex] Re: OT Query - Canon FD lenses/cameras

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2008 06:11:40 -0400

Douglas Sharp wrote:
Hi, all,

I've just been given a Canon TLb with an FD 50/1.8 (Chrome ring and bayonet lens-hood, old style FD mount), an FD 28/2.8 (New style FD mount) and a Vivitar 75-260 / 4.5 Zoom (Old FD mount) + a Vivitar Automatic 2x Teleconverter ( [FL-FD] - whatever that means).

Having never used Canon cameras or lenses until the DSLRs came out, I was wondering if anyone could tell me anything about the quality of the above.

Doug,
  My wife has both of the Canon lenses with an AT-1.  Once
I borrowed them while mine were being worked on and they
performed admirably, very crisp and contrasty, although
I was using them near optimum aperture all the time so
it wasn't that severe a test.
  The Old F-1 body is rugged and handles nicely and has a
pretty good finder with interchangeable screens.  From what
I've read the main nasty thing that can happen to it is
problems with the shutter curtain brakes which are expensive
to fix.
  The best fix for PX-625 is to have the camera adjusted to
use silver oxide batteries.  Zinc Air cells will work unadjusted,
but have only a few months life once used.
  I don't know anything about the Vivitar lenses.

--
Charlie Falke                                         _____      /\
"One test result is worth                        |    |/        `o
 one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun   0  N4003M
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein