[LRflex] Re: OT: Leica Look-alike

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:54:09 -0700

Hi Richard, Steve & all:

The problem with Phase detection is that it usually requires separate sensors -
often found in the base of the mirror box.

Contrast detection is used in P&S cameras (and all mirrorless cameras, to date)
because there is no mirror with which to deflect some of the light to the phase
detectors, via a semi-silvered spot & secondary mirror and because it can be
accomplished right off the sensor, which is already being used for "live view".

For more on phase-detection AF, see: http://tinyurl.com/brjru49

Oly now have a patent which provides for some of the regular sensor pixels to
be used in a phase-detection setup.

see: http://tinyurl.com/bfacknx

Is this the solution they'll use? I don't know... only time will tell.

Cheers!

David.