[LRFlex] OT: Accessories for the Digi-Modul-R

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 12:19:56 -0700

A few weeks back, I met a young lad with a Brand 'C', Digital Rebel. I showed him mine and he showed me his.

He was absolutely aghast at the weight of the R8 w/80~200/4 Vario Elmar (so am I!). He was also incredibly impressed with the brightness, ease of use of the R8's finder. "Like a picture window to the world!", he said.

I found his Digi-Rebel light and quite nice to use, though the finder is small and dark. (sigh).

However, what got my attention was a small box he had. He's pop his memory card out of the camera and pop it into the box. Press a button and the card was loaded onto a hard drive! Quick, easy and very portable.

I've since heard that similar devices exist that will allow you to burn a CD on the spot. If true, this would be a perfect solution for those who travel with a digital camera. Simply pop your card into the box and make two CD's. Mail one home and take the other with you. Should you get robbed whilst away, the mailed copy is your backup. Should the one in the mail 'get lost' and never make it home, you have a copy with you. The chances of both happening on any one trip are incredibly remote!

Of course is doesn't solve the problem of permanent storage. but it would sure solve a problem for the travelling digital photog.

Has anybody here any knowledge of such a box?

Thanks.

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm