[LRflex] Re: Mobile phone photography-OT, definitely

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 10:13:13 -0800 (PST)

Hello Bill,
   I like how you're laterally thinking re: A Leica 'Camera Phone'
lens/hardware
module. I am aware of some high quality imagemaking various photographers are
achieving with Apple's iPhone and seen a couple of articles on it in American
Photo (in print) and other places (online). Apple put in a decent sensor
(albeit
small) and a well designed fixed focal length lens into a package that's
eminently portable and generally omnipresent. As 'Leica' types we should all
know it's a whack load easier to design a much 'faster' and much more versatile
lens by 'Skipping' the Optical Design Swampland Which Is "The Zoom". Add in the
aesthetic and photographic freedom of "Prime Lens" Photography and no wonder
they're being flocked to by so many different folks.
   It occurs to me that Barnack's Original Concept was to be so much smaller
and
portable than the view cameras and big box cameras of the day. I'm fairly sure
that one could fit Three iPhones in the space of a Single 4"x5" Film Holder!

   As for 'Leica' Camera Phones/Camera Phone Parts - I see a seemingly natural
tie in with Apple and their Premium Supplier of Products and Designs and
Leica's
Premium Optics Designer and Supplier mindsets.
Richard in Michigan

[---Insert Irony Here---]