[LRflex] Mobile phone photography-OT, definitely

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 14:57:43 -0800

The New York Times

In Smartphone Era, Point-and-Shoots Stay Home
By Sam Grobart
Published December 3, 2010

Ariel Dunitz-Johnson, a 30-year-old illustrator in San Francisco, bought a
point-and-shoot camera in May. But in July, she bought a smartphone, with a
camera built in.

Soon, whenever she wanted to take a picture, she found herself reaching for the
smartphone, a Droid Incredible. She barely uses her point-and-shoot, a
Panasonic DMC-LX3.

“It’s much easier to share those pictures with my friends,” she explained,
through social networks or e-mail. “With my point-and-shoot, I have to plug it
into my computer and upload the photos. It’s just a few more steps than I want
to take.”

For the complete article please go to
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/04/technology/04camera.html?ref=technology

----------------------------

This article discusses the shift in popular photography from point and shoot
digital cameras to cameras in mobile phones and the technical improvements
being made in the design of the latter. The article mentions these data:

> "Flickr, the photo-sharing site, says users add more than three million
> photos to its inventory every day. Yet Flickr’s data shows that the most
> popular camera among its 55 million users is a smartphone, Apple’s iPhone 3G.
> Not a single point-and-shoot makes it into its top five. The remaining spots
> are occupied by S.L.R.’s from Canon and Nikon."

I knew this seismic shift to mobile phone photography was underway but I had no
idea it had progressed this far. The Sony-Ericsson C905a Cybershot 8.1
Megapixel, Xenon flash mobile phone is on the market while an 8 megapixel Nokia
mobile phone with a Zeiss lens is said to be in the works. Nokia has been
working with Zeiss for some time now.

For more go to http://www.iphoneography.com/

I have no idea what all this portends for serious photographers and their
suppliers. It may be blasphemy for me to to say this but the modern Ur-Leica
may not be the S2 but a mobile phone!

It could be relatively inexpensive, easy to carry and operate while hiking,
suitable for mass production, optically equal or superior to the competition,
etc., just what Oskar Barnack was trying to accomplish way back when.

Which mobile phone maker will be the first to feature "Lens and digital
processor by Leica"? Maybe Leica itself.

All the best,

Bill------