[LRflex] Re: May I scream now? Well, try this before

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 15:25:35 -0700

Xavier wrote:

>If the DMR is found with no fault then:
>a) which camera it was attached? Is there any one not too far you
>can check against?

The DMR "no fault found" was when tested with an R9 belonging to
Leica.  I then sent them my R9, and both units were returned to
me.  The only word on the work order is "Complete".  Not very illuminating.

What I have not reported here is that there were two episodes,
earlier, where the DMR exhibited some very unusual behaviour and
erratic operation.  I suspect that the problem is in the DMR, in the
form of an intermittent chip.  Which chip, I do not know.  And I am
unsure if it is "Inter-ing" or "Mittent-ing" ...but it's not right!

>b) probably the DMR is OKay, the R9 is Okay, the contacts are Okay
>but the linkage is wrong. As you tried more than a card (among those
>you have), it could be that all the cards are formatted the same
>manner, embedding a bug.

I have tried the format trick... I have cards, carefully marked,
which were formatted by Leica.  I also have the two cards which went
to Leica with the camera.  On was a 2Gb San Disk  Ultra II, the other
the 512mb SanDisk which came with the DMR.  Both worked, when the
units were first returned, so I doubt it is the card formatting.

>Try a low format of the cards with a PC, it could yield a different result.
>It seems repeating myself but FAT16, FAT32, etc......

Done that .. no success.

>The idea is to try your DMR on a different body R8. I understand this is
>very difficult.

I would, if there was another R8 within 1000km!

>And if it works, try to force an upgade of the firmware.

I cannot upgrade or reload the firmware, as the DMR needs to "turn
on" first, and it will not complete it's cycle.  Formatting cards in
the camera sort of works...but yields poor results.  The DCIM folder
is not created, and the job is incomplete.  I have asked both Solms
and New Jersey if there is a "reset" sequence, which would force the
camera to reload the firmware. The have declined to answer that question.

>Another option is that the firmware cannot cope with th cards, try to borrow
>the smallest and dumbest/slowest card in the world. If You have a
>surprise....if it works see above.

Smallest I can find are the 512mb cards .. I have two - both came
from Leica.  Both were formatted by Leica.  Neither works now, though
both were working on Friday. :-(  They were not formatted, in between.

>I have now Tree digicam at home all on SD. It's interesting to see how they
>all cope with the three generation  of SD I have.

They should be fine.  Most people I know who have the DMR use the
fastest cards they can find, in the hopes of speeding up a very slow
write cycle.  However, Leica tell me that they have had problems with
high speed cards in the DMR (not sure about the D3 or other digicams
they've sold). Despite Leica's advice, I have had no problems running
cards claimed to be 166x.

>Let me know...

My email will reach numerous people at Leica, including Mr. Lee,
tomorrow morning.   Given the time differences and the possible need
to consult between New Jersey and Solms, I will expect an answer by
Tuesday.  Will let you know.

Thanks for your suggestions and your concern.

If nothing else, I think Steve Barbour's concerns that I am "cozy"
with Leica, and possibly in their employ,  are now dispelled!