[LRflex] Re: M lenses on the Fujifilm X Pro 1

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 10:59:25 -0700

> David.  Now I am confused.  Do any M lenses have electronics that would
> communicate f-stop or focus point?  And they don't have an auto diaphram
> to worry about like R lenses.  I know some are coded since the M8, but
> isn't that just an optical code and can be done with a marking pen?
>
> I fail to see how this is any different than a R to Canon Chipped
> adapter that you could program with the focal length and max aperture
> but had no real communication with the camera.
>
> The only thing different might be that with the electronic viewfinder,
> as you stop the lens down the viewfinder could brighten up to compensate
> so it looks like you are looking through a wide open lens, but you can
> see the depth of field change.
>
> Straighten me out, please.
>
> Aram

Hi Aram!

I wasn't thinking, necessarily, of M lenses.  You are right, they only have the
"felt-pen-able" code., to let the body know which lens is there.

EOS (and most other modern lenses) have electrically driven apertures.  Thus,
an adapter to put, say, and EOS lens on an Olympus 4/3rds camera might be made
with enough electronics to actuate the Automatic diaphragm.

Similarly, with a small solenoid built into the adapter, Auto diaphragm could
be achieved for R lenses on other bodies. Of course, such an adapter would have
an arm to measure the set f-stop and communicate it back to the body, for
Aperture priority exposure control.

Frankly, this is the way I would rather hope that Leica will go, should they
ever produce their long promised, "adequate" replacement for the R series.

As for and EVF brightening as the aperture is stopped down, most mirrorless
cameras do that now.

Clear as mud?

David.