[LRflex] Re: Leica on Sigma SD14 Samples

  • From: Philippe Amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 21:17:26 +0200

William B. Abbott III wrote:

Walter,

Thanks for the Sigma pix. I enjoyed seeing them all, especially the two with the arching branches, one over a cemetery, the other over a path.

What interests me the most is that they seem to have that magical three-dimensional look that Leica pictures seem to me to have. I can't say if it is an artifact of my two new lenses acquired in cataract surgery or something that all people with normal vision see. The effect is very real to me.

Same here, with no cararact so far...
Yet , as you pointed it out, you shoot in low light, which may help provide this feeling. Nevertheless, I think the sensor does a great job both in colour and BW (rich tones) - in between standard L1/D3 and HDR, which is perfect for me - and you do an eye for things.
The camera seems to have been meant for De La  Tour like chiaroscuri.

Thanks for sharing
Bien cordialement.
Philippe

All the best,

Bill

On Jun 4, 2009, at 5:44 AM, Walter Kramer wrote:

Thanks to those who were able to give comment on the virtues and
differences between the 180mm prime and 80-200 zoom.  I will be going
with the zoom at this stage for it's versatility as a walk about lens.

For those interested I have uploaded a number of pictures made using the Sigma SD14 and Leica lenses. These are available on flickr (link below)
I have not yet mastered uploading to the LUG gallery.

These shots are a mixed bag using Leica 35-70mm, 90mm Summicron and  the
70-210 zoom. Also using different processing software including Sigma
and third party applications. (However I am finding that using the Sigma
software is giving the best results)  Processing is mostly sharpening
and contrast enhancements so no major changes to the original capture.

I have tried to present a variety of shots under different conditions so these are not chosen on the basis of photographic merit. Overall I think
these pics should give viewers a sense of the special quality of the
Foveon sensor. Most shots are taken in relatively low light situations
and I should add to my previous comments about this camera that noise
can be an issue.  In general I prefer to shoot at 200 ISO or lower.
Hopefully Sigma can address this issue in the SD15  The sensor and
camera is definitely worth developing.

Comments welcome.

BTW I will next be looking to acquiring a wide prime and not an APO
since they are beyond my means unless someone knows of a bargain lens
somewhere.  I have been considering either the 24mm or 28mm Elmarit.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25126059@N02/sets/72157619149039949/

--
Walter Krämer
walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx