[LRflex] Re: Leica R lens 28-70mm zoom ?

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2007 13:56:16 -0600

Hi Aram,

> From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 08:13:14 -0800
>
> Hi Neil.  While not owning other zooms for comparison,  I can compare
> the 35-70 with some fixed focus Leica lenses.  You say your version
> does not compare to the 100 APO at 70.  I will state that the 35-70
> shot at 70 compares well to my 100 APO.  Not perfectly, but it is
> darn good.  Way better than my 90/2.8.  At the 35 end, it also
> compares well to my 35/2.  I would say it is almost a wash.  OF
> course, there are 2 f-stops difference, so when needed the 'cron
> comes out.  You are correct that if you are use to a 28, you need a
> 28.  My lineup has never included a 28.  24, 35, 50, 90, 100, 180 is
> my setup for fixed lenses.
> I have found that if I am going out shooting where I don't want to
> carry all the weight, I choose three lenses.  I take my 24, my 100
> APO and the 35-70 and I'm good for just about anything.  If I know
> light will be an issue, I leave the zoom home and take the 35 and 50
> 'crons for that f=2 advantage. Hope that helps a bit with a few
> direct comparisons.

I think we're stating very similar viewpoints about these lenses. I
certainly did not mean to imply that the 28-70 is not good; rather that
the 100 APO is an unusually good lens. For what it's worth, the 28-70 is
the "standard" lens on my R5, and I'm not at all disappointed in its
rendering qualities. And, I suspect that my technique would be more of an
issue than the imaging differences between the 28-70 and 35-70. Still, I
would like the opportunity to compare them directly at some point.

Neil