[LRflex] Re: Leica R lens 28-70mm zoom ?

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:28:49 -0800

Dear Steve,
I'm coming in at the tail end of this discussion and have only great
things to say about the 35-70/4 R zoom:  sharp, contrasty, no
discernible distortion at full wide.

Sharing here sample shots from a weekend trip from London to Salisbury
Cathedral and Stone Henge which I took last year with this lens and my
R7 + Metz flash as the only gear.  Let me know your impressions of
these 35-70 results (some of you may recall these shots from last
year's post).

IMHO sharpness of the Leica Vario-Elmarit 35-70/4 is astounding,
evidenced by even the hand-held or chair and pew-propped shots inside
Salisbury Cathedral (could have used a right-angle finder if I had
one, to avoid squinting from a kneeling position to compose and
capture the ceiling shots).

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Salisbury/SalisburyCathedral_III.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Salisbury/SalisburyCathedral_VII.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Salisbury/SalisburyCathedral_X_Sepia.jpg.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Salisbury/SalisburyCathedral_VI.jpg.html

The monochromes were taken with Ilford XP2.  As for color saturation
and balance, here's a view of the town of Salisbury with a broad
swatch of lively colors:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Salisbury/Salisbury_I.jpg.html

Then going to a slightly drizzly venue to meet with the druids that
didn't show up - only throngs of tourists to somehow avoid in these
compositions:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Salisbury/Stonehenge_I.jpg.html

And the dark clouds moved away after a while.......
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Leicaflex/Salisbury/Stonehenge_II.jpg.html

This was more than a year ago.  I have been so busy with work this
year that I haven't been posting much on the list.  However, I find it
a good antidote and divertissement to read everyone's threads.  If and
when more time frees up nearer X'mas, I hope to scan and post more
photos from this year.

Cheers, Eric Chan