[LRflex] Re: It's here (Ted)

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 22:13:01 -0700

You have a good point, Ted, that if Leica is going to demand the price they do,
the gear should come with a 72 hour (at least!) free trial, to be sure it's
what you want ... that it feels good in the hand, and works well in the field.

Not sure how various dealers accommodate that, and not everyone can join the
LHSA and to to their conventions, when Leica often have their "Leica on Loan"
program. (Next one is in Vancouver, Canada, if you want to make the trek.)

Poverty will keep me from buying one, but even if I were in the market, the
entire point of a mirrorless camera is to make it smaller than a dSLR. And the
new SL is bigger than the old SL-2!

The other thing that would keep me from buying it is the in-lens stabilization.
If Leica want us to buy the camera, particularly for those with "R" glass
laying around, then would not in-body image stabilization make more sense?
Yes, they built it with Panasonic's help & technology, but Panasonic have
IBIS, but the chose to go with in-lens IS. Not only does this add to the price
of each lens, as you buy the IS system over and over again, but I think it
would be a terrific selling point if they could tell prospective buyers "Here
is your 'adequate' R solution ... not only will your lenses work, but they will
now work even BETTER!" Another opportunity missed.

As for not buying one until you win the lottery, Ted, save your money and
don't hold your breath. I bought the winning ticket this morning. ;-)

David.

--
David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake,BC, CANADA

Hi
David & Crew,

Not
likely I'll ever buy one, "NO MONEY!" Gee that's such a simple reason
it hardly takes a second thought! J

The list
thought providers on this new camera are quite amazing when basing nearly
all comments
without having had the camera in hand? Yep merely thoughts on seeing a photo.

Or
photos with the usual LEICA paid propagandist who of course will be all
positive because LEICA just gave him a free keeper camera and lenses to
comment
on. Wouldn't we all?

4) it's no beauty, but as Ted pointed out,
it's results not looks, that count. When the R8 first came out, it was said
be ugly, but I loved mine. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and results,
were amazing.<<<<

As
many of you know during the main life of my 60 year plus photo career I
worked,
no not on every assignment. But when the gear was required. 3 SLR's motor
driven and three M's of various models as time and improvements came along.

rarely ever did any so called testing. WHY? Well heck it's a Leica, cost a
pile
so why test when it's the best? My routine on many occasions' was. ""Out
of box, lens on, load film and into assignment battle clicking away.

Yep
lots of things I learned as the results came out of the darkroom
developer/enlarger/
prints. OOPS! Generally the OOPS came because I didn't read the instruction
manual. Oh well what the hell. I always figured once you learned how to load a
roll of film, look through view finder all cameras worked the same! So I shot
as my gut responded to what my eye was seeing! "CLICK! Nary a second
thought! This is where my KISS philosophy of being a photojournalist evolved.

Back
to this new SLR? Yep it looks like a Tiger Tank ready for battle, but it
hardly
matters, until you have it in hand to feel the grip and the weight.

I loved
my R8's and motors and cross section of lens from the widest to the 400 2.8,
They
were an extension of my hands and fingers. OH yes, my one good-eye!! However
sold
them when digital came along and went Canon! Couldn't wait for Leica, besides
figured I couldn't afford them.

NOW!
New machine? Surely I will never afford them unless I win the LOTTERY
big-time.
But even then the decision to actually buy a couple

of
them wouldn't be made until?

Due
to all you wonderful crew members who corrected my "loose learning ways to
testing!" Testing does matter, "LEICA AT ANY UNAFFORDABLE AMOUNT OR
NOT!"

Today,
no different than buying a new car........ "YOU TAKE IT OUT FOR A
DRIVE!" AND TEST IT! Get the feel, see some results therefore LEICA at that
price level. I wouldn't buy one let alone 3? Until I were given a camera to
test drive for a few days! AND SEE THE RESULTS WITH MY ONE GOOD EYE!

You
see here's where my KISS philosophy comes to play? If LEICA want the kind of
price they do? Then they have to sell with a test so we lovers of their gear
will continue to purchase their models!

OR
FORGET IT LEICA, AS THERE ARE SOME WONDERFUL MACHINES BY OTHER MANUFACTURERS
PUT YOU TO SHAME!

You
Leica manufacturers haven't yet woke up to the modern day! It isn't the days
of
Henri Cartier Bresson and you folks the only kid on the block camera maker!
You
aren't the powerhouse you were! Get over it!

Oh by
the way, if you'd like to discuss this face to face with a 60 year day after
day all over the world professional photojournalist always shooting on
assignment
for some client? A well published and author of 8 published books all with
incredible
LEICA's I'd be only too pleased to come to Germany and have a chat!

So
wake-up! Get over it and build equipment your lifetime dedicated followers
like
the folks on this group can afford. The LEICA lover masses are dwindling
faster
than you can make cameras and the day is rushing your way to oblivion!

Have
a nice day!

Cheers,

Dr.