[LRflex] Re: Int'l Photographic fair of Paris

  • From: <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: liste reflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 22:25:08 +0100 (CET)

Thanks for the illustrated report Xavier

I had the E5 in mind before it went out - the dream's gone I'm afraid , for me
at least - the price tag is 1700 euors or 1700 dollars - am I supposed to bite
into this swindle?

The 35 macro is a nice and inexpensive lens - it fares better on the L1 than
the Elmarit 60 macro ... not as sharp perhaps, but so much better suited for
the format and sensor from my experience - I offered Alice one last year and I
use it when I still want to shoot macro. So the Elmarit remains on the shelf ...

As to the GF2, DXo reports that its sensor is not as good as the GF1's ... MFT
is downhill from the original FT and both Oly and Pana are forgetting that some
photogs would like to keep using the excellent glass that was produced for the
FT format - the 7-14 for instance is unpaired from what I see - beats N and C
hands down, only the sensor and pixel count are a problem in the current FT
offer - an L2 or Digilux 4 would have been such a pleasure in my (photographic)
life ...

Thanks again for your time and dedication

Amitiés de Mutz
Philippe

Envoyé depuis SFR Mail. 10 Go de stockage - en savoir plus.

=======================================
Message du : 06/11/2010
De : "Bille Xavier F. " <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
A : leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copie à :
Sujet : [LRflex] Int'l Photographic fair of Paris

Hello Flexers.

I took a few hours to roam around the Salon de la Photo here in Paris.

This year novelty is obviously the 3D, everywhere, like at Panasonic's where
you can "see" the technology:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo/L1070868_dev.jpg

Of Course, there was a stand of Leica where almost no one asked for the S2 but
a "guy" had wholeheart opinion about the advantage of the FireWire over the
USB.
This Leica Staff (on the right) had a lot of nerve to keep a low profile in
front of "the client"

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo/L1070871_dev.jpg

A while later, this nice chap (he defined Leica as a "manufacture", by
reference to the watchmaker such as IWC) , a bit surprised to see a Digilux 3,
handed over the S2:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo/L1070869_dev.jpg

BTW, the Leica S2 is really a nice camera, clean, well designed. But to me it's
more a medium format type of camera.

To be honnest with you all, I had in mind to try a few Olympus lenses on my
Digilux. At the Olympus booth I mounted a 35mm macro and tried it to grab a
detail of the Olympus E5 (superb viewfinder, not as good as the S2!):

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo/L1070864_dev.jpg

This macro lens, light and compact is really surprising, it is possible to come
even closer to the subject but the lack of stabilisation, hand held, no tripod,
results are not to be shown...

I believe this lens might be on my wish list for X Mas....

At mid distance, it gives a proper picture, I tried couple of shots:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo/L1070866_dev.jpg

For those having a strong Internet Link (2.5Mb file, be warned), here is the
Macro shot, full size delivered by the Digilux3. Camera was set at 800ISO, not
too bad:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo/L1070864_dev_full.jpg

This year also, there were many stands offering to publish/print a book of a
set of photos. It fuels me with a couple of ideas for my slides stored away!

At the Olympus Booth, across of the Panasonic Booth, they were advertising a
lot the Hybrids such as EP2, EP2, GF1, GF2 those camera with a slip in
electronic viewfinder. If reducing the size is a concept I love, the accessory
viewfinder that gets easily lost is an heresy. But it sells, believe me, a lot
of people are asking for this concept.
The EP2 by Olympus is a rather well thought package.
But I put great hope in the Fuji with an hybrid telemetric viewfinder wich was
revealed at the photokina: on a micro 4/3 derived from the EP2 by Olympus, it
would be appealing.

This fair was fun except for the French, so rude they are :(

Sorry to admit it publicly: I'm really attracted to the Olympus offer (not the
hybrids in their actual form, though), compared with the other brands. But it's
just an opinion!

Have a nice WE.