[LRFlex] Re: Interesting study of an Agent's document.

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 12:27:36 -0700

Earlier today, Xavier wrote:

It may sound a bit OT to some, sorry in advance. While buying a set of Provia Film for the trip next week, I have spent some minutes reading my Street Corner's photog documents.

The guys are representing Olympus and they are pushing in the new SLR Digital from the firm. A 5MP with a 4/3 chip made by Kodak.

The chip may be made by Kodak, but it is much smaller than the one being used in Leica's Digital-Modul R. The smaller chip give a magnification factor of 2x. So a 200mm lens, gives the equivalent angle of view as a 400mm lens. For wildlife and sports photographers, this is great. But for wide-angle buffs, it is an ongoing problem.

To get the equivalent of the 21mm SA, you must build a 10.5mm w/a.

Check the price list... some of the new Olympus lenses for this new 4/3rds system are considerably more expensive than Leica glass! I was shocked! Olympus have a very nice 400mm f2.8 that would be delight for wildlife, but they want US$6000 for it!

Remember that the awaited data back for the R9 is made on an equivalent CCD by Kodak!

Sorry, but the CCD is not equivalent. The Kodak chip, designed specifically for Leica, is 10mp. not 5.

The samples are stunning, as good as a Medium Format or a Leica R with a fine grain film!

I'm sure they are stunning. I would question the balance of your sentence.

Olympus started from nil to build the camera, new body, new chassis, new optics, etc. In fact they did like with the OM1 serie.

<snip>

Honnestly, it is a much better system than anything since it is tailored to a purpose rather than the adpatation to the existing.

Only, I'm repulsed by the MMI Man Machine Interface, so many Jogs/Dials....

The lenses are really built to match the CCD and the shutter. Hmmm, I wonder if the data back of R system wil be as good..... Me think it is already dead before it reaches the market. Why? Optics are not built for the Digital but rather for the 135 film.

What do you think?

I think it will end up being overprice for what it does. If I am going to go Japanese digital, it would be Canon, for I believe they have the best technology, and their thinner body means I can adapt my long Leica glass!

Cheers!

David.

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm